As the weather cools here are some tips on having an enjoyable and safe experience when using your outdoor fire pit, heater, or other outdoor hearth accessory.
Safety Tips for Outdoor Hearth Products
1. Always have a fire extinguisher on hand.
2. Carefully read the manufacturer’s installation instructions and safety guidelines for your product.
3. Keep all portable hearth products away from combustible material, e.g. outdoor furniture, pool towels, side of house, shrubs, etc.
4. Position your hearth product on a stable and fireproof surface, e.g. concrete or brick. Do not put a hearth product on grass, wooden deck or in an enclosed porch.
5. Never leave a burning product unattended, especially around children and pets, and make sure the fire is completely extinguished before leaving.
Additional Safety Tips for Wood-burning Products
1. Check your local ordinances regarding outdoor wood burning.
2. Never use lighter fluid or gasoline to ignite your wood-burning product; use fire starters.
3. When lighting or tending to the fire, make sure hair and clothing are away from the flame.
4. Burn only dry, seasoned wood (not treated wood) and make sure the smoke is not a nuisance to your neighbor. Consider using a hearth or grill pad for spark prevention.
Source: Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association, www.hpba.org.